Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Empty Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest
    by: Ten Heavens

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC and Mac

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Mystic-gateways-the-celestial-quest_feature

Follow Edwin through Mystic Gateways! After unlocking ancient portals,
    Edwin sets off on an adventure and asks you to follow! Travel across
    the globe and find fellow members of the mysterious Shadow Vanguard.
    Each member will help you collect the valuable relics necessary to open
    each gate. Solve perplexing puzzles and find helpful items in Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest, a fun Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

• Beautiful graphics
    • Exciting gameplay
    • Explore the Mystic Gateways!

Click images to enlarge

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Th_screen1 Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Th_screen2 Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Th_screen3
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest Empty Re: Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest (HOPA)

The Celestial Quest does not have typical hidden object scenes - they're more adventure-esque than anything else. You don't have a list of items to find, but rather a list of tasks. ie. Find 12 puzzle pieces, find the secret door, turn off the lasers. There are intermittent mini-games that tend towards the easy side, but not insultingly so.

Mudrock's designation of Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure is close, but I'd lean more towards calling it an Adventure-Puzzle.

You have two difficulty levels: Normal and Advanced. I chose Advanced for my demo, but accepted the offer for a tutorial. I do recommend starting this game on Advanced mode, even for beginners, as it's pretty intuitive. Even on advanced mode, the cursor turns into a hand whenever you "mouse-over" items of interest, so I can't imagine the Normal mode being anything but annoyingly easy. At least, that was my first impression. As I progressed, I got stuck... on something that was staring me right in the face Silly face Lucky me, there is a HINT button. It takes a while to recharge, but what fun would it be if it refilled instantly? Wink

The story beginning is a bit abrupt, thrusting you into the middle of what seems to be an established plot. If I didn't know better, I'd be looking for a part 1. Once you find the journal, read it to get the back story. There are two tabs in there, so be sure to check them both.

The music is not The Clockwork Man 2 outstanding, but then, few are. It is non-invasive and helps to make the game a bit more immersive, so I left it on for the ambiance.

As for graphics they suit the plot and the method of gameplay. I like that this game is not the formulaic "search 3 rooms, move to new area" - you have multiple areas to explore at once, but not an overwhelming amount, either.

Overall I would rate this as an enjoyable adventure game :thumb:

EDIT: Ah yes, I did forget to mention one thing: This IS one of those games where you periodically have to break things to progress in the game. So NOT realistic, but I still enjoy the game Smile

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am