Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid)

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) Empty The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid)

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 am

The Far Kingdoms
    by Lazy Turtle Games - November, 2013

Available at:
    Big Fish
    GameHouse
    iWin

The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) The-far-kingdoms_feature

Upon returning home from a long journey, Princess Arianna can hardly recognize her own kingdom. The Dark Witch Morgana has enslaved everyone with an evil spell, and it's up to Princess Arianna to save the people! Use the Royal Amulet and create magic spells to aid you on the your quest as you travel to faraway Kingdoms and meet new friends. Help Princess Arianna save her kingdom and defeat the Dark Witch before it's too late!

• Combination of Hidden Object and Match-3
    • Create magic spells
    • Save the Kingdoms!

Click images to enlarge
    The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) Th_screen1_The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) Th_screen2_The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid) Empty Re: The Far Kingdoms (HOG/M3 hybrid)

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 am

What A Neat Little Game!

Sunny Sunny SunnySunny

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    This is a nicely put together hybrid game, part HOPs and part Match 3. The unique factor here is that it is the first game of this type that I think actually works! The two genres mesh tightly in an action-based adventure that is really cleverly done and smoothly paced.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The looks are very ‘fairy tale’ of the big bold and beautiful sort. Heavy brush strokes, strong colour saturation, and HOPs that are filled with big easy to see objects. The effect is perhaps a little too cartoony for some, but I think it just squeaks in on the positive side.

The sound track is both the best and the worst of the game! There are no voiceovers, which is probably a good thing, because there is a lot of chit chat. The music is, seriously, uplifting. Some of the best music I’ve ever heard. The problem is it’s so loud! And changing the volume in options doesn’t work. Open up options again, and you’ll see it is back to full volume. (Might be worth fixing that, Dev)

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    The story is both familiar and a bit tired, but this is not a game you’ll buy for the story. It’s just the wrapping paper on the gift. You return from who knows where to discover your kingdom has been overtaken by none other than our old friend Morgana (if you haven’t met her yet, you’ve been playing the wrong games *cheeky wink*. The royal scribing pigeon escapes and will be keeping a journal of your odyssey as you travel ‘the far kingdoms’ in a bid to defeat her. The King of Frogs decides he might come along for the ride, and even give you a few pointers along the way. Congratulations, you have met your (directional) hint button.

MAKING PROGRESS
    This game is one of those where you get very little choice about what order things are done, where to go next, etc. Mostly it is carrying out the quest set you by each new character you meet. The focus is on both the Match 3 mini-games and the HOPs fairly evenly distributed. There is only a handful of puzzles.  There are some mini-games of the arcade-type (burn all the marauding spiders before they reach you).

I like the Match 3 because each scene you play generates a Match 3 with tiles are appropriate to the spot you are in. E.g. In a mushroom  grove, there are different kinds of mushrooms for you to match. That is fun. The HOPs are straight lists, I didn’t notice any interaction. The few puzzles are easy and very familiar, but it doesn’t detract from the game as much as you’d think. No map, as you’ll be travelling through portals and casting spells in order to get around. You do have a magic potions bottle, which will combine your ingredients for making spells from recipes you will  find in your quests.

MY FINAL WORD
    Nice game. Probably a little bit too child-like for me, but wouldn’t be at all surprised to find many adults loving it. It’s a fairy tale, yes, but it is different and entertaining too.

The game gets an extra star for doing such a good job combining match 3 and HOP gameplay, and is certainly worth a demo.

I Recommend This Game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 am

No need for a double topic, BUT you're right -- I should be putting the links in both areas' indexes! (Probably what you meant... I'm tired!)  A project for later today~ Sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm