Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Journey of a Roach

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Journey of a Roach Empty Journey of a Roach

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am

Journey of a Roach
    by Daedalic Entertainment - November, 2013

Available at:
    GamersGate
    GOG
    Steam

Journey of a Roach Header_292x136

Nuclear war, post apocalypse, barren and lifeless wastelands.

Lifeless? Not so much!

Mutated insects have made their home in a bomb shelter and they're set on exploring the world.

Let this point&click adventure welcome you to a hilariously bizarre end time world and join the roaches Jim and Bud on their journey to the surface.

Journey of a Roach tells the story of two roach-buddies, who want nothing but see the surface world.

On their way up, they meet all kinds of bizarre and ludicrous insects inhabiting the post-apocalyptic earth. In atmospheric 3D point&click adventure style you'll take control of Jim the roach through the bomb shelter, effortlessly crawling your way along walls and ceilings. This innovative and dynamic game mechanic creates opportunities for a wholly new puzzle design. Fondly designed speechballoons offer an unconventional new dialogue experience and the soundtrack delivers and atmospheric, post-apocalyptic mood.

• Point&click Adventure in a unique environment
    • Crawl along walls and ceilings, exploring secret underground
    • Innovative controls create dynamic game mechanics
    • Atmospheric 3D comic style world
    • Two charming, memorable protagonists with humorous, nonverbal means of communication

Journey of a Roach 374487_steam_joar_01_1920x1080_medium
    Journey of a Roach 374494_steam_joar_08_1920x1080_medium
    Journey of a Roach Ss_6d1a9750e7e1165e18c06c5e12712fa8dff528d2.600x338

Last edited by genkicoll on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Journey of a Roach Empty Re: Journey of a Roach

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 am

Hmmm... interesting... but I'm not such a fan of roaches so will wait to read reviews, haha.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:31 pm

It's by Daedalic -- who made The Whispered World, etc -- and it reminds me of Botanicula, so I wanted to give it a shout-out.  I'll wait 'til it's on sale down the road to investigate further Smile
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes I enjoy Daedalic games and I'm sure it's at least a pretty good game. I'll wait until it hits GOG and garners some reviews. Smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Journey of a Roach
    (Point-and-click Adventure)

First of all, we have many resolution settings, ranging from 640x480 to 1920x1080.  In the options are separate sliders for Master, Music, and Effects.  Here you can also choose whether or not to have the Hotspots indicated, your language, Graphic Quality and Full-screen or Windowed.

DON'T FORGET!  This is a TRUE adventure game, and you must save MANUALLY!  It's very easy to do, just hit the Esc key, then choose to save.  There is an auto-save function, but it's always nice to be able to return to certain moments.  You have multiple save slots.

What a weird concept for a game... Roaches?  Really? Huh?   You know the old saying, you could drop a nuclear bomb, and the cockroaches would still survive!  Well, that's exactly what's happened in this post-apocalyptic tale.  The game does not take itself too seriously, and much of it is tongue-in-cheek.  We start out with a non-skippable, cartoon cutscene (NOTE: None of the cutscenes are skippable.)  Once it's over, we get down to the game, which has some beautifully-rendered 3-D characters and surroundings.

The roaches themselves are not "Ewww, roaches!"  They are more puppy-like in looks and mannerisms, and they bounce around like rabbits when they're excited! Laugh

I'd wondered when I read the description how the walking on the ceiling would be done... and it's a 360 warning for certain!  You may be walking on the walls or ceilings, but you always view things as if you are upright... meaning that the scene turns as you move from each surface (ie. floor to walls to ceiling and back.)

Movement is done via W-A-S-D or the arrow keys, and you'll use your mouse to click on/interact with things.  Holding down the space bar will zoom the scene out.

At the top of the screen are two retractable tabs:  The magnifying glass on the right will show you your map, whilst the one that looks like a sack opens up your inventory.

While there is no HINT button, you do get instructions in the form of pictures to help you on your way.  I'm playing with Hotspots, but that doesn't mean the game holds your hand.  I'm enjoying figuring out things on my own. Sunny

It's going to be a while before I finish this one, but I'm enjoying the quirky fun of it. Okay  If you're interested, I recommend checking out the Daedalic Humble Bundle before time runs out!  This is one of the 8 games, and you can get all of the games for $6.00!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Now available at GOG and on sale for $4.99 through tomorrow (Saturday).  I recommend checking this one out, it's a fun puzzle-adventure!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm