Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Mystery Case Files 5: Return to Ravenhearst (IHOG/adventure)

genkicoll

Mystery Case Files 5: Return to Ravenhearst (IHOG/adventure)

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
    by Big Fish Games - November, 2008

Series links:  Please see the Mystery Case Files Series Index 

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC and Mac

Emma`s soul is free. But her ghost has delivered a dire warning: evil  still lurks in Ravenhearst Manor. Big Fish Games Studios takes you deep inside the cursed estate in Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst, the thrilling sequel. Experience Ravenhearst`s spectral halls as never before with new immersive adventure-style gameplay and an epic original  soundtrack. Feel the floorboards creak as you move from room to room  solving puzzles and seeking out clues in over 150 detailed scenes.  

• The biggest MCF game to date
    • Immersive gameplay
    • Gamezebo Walkthrough

Click images to enlarge
     __
    JustTheFacts

Re: Mystery Case Files 5: Return to Ravenhearst (IHOG/adventure)

Post by JustTheFacts on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:02 pm

MCF’s 1st HOPA
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    The change from this game and the previous Mystery Case Files games is enormous. In fact, they are no longer really in the same genre. This is a HOPA, with hidden object puzzles, assorted other mini-games, and a little wandering around style adventuring. The intro made it clear that despite being a continuation of the previous Ravenhearst story, it would not be a simple carbon copy.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Once again, this game’s graphics improve on its predecessors’ markedly, but in this case it is the difference between bearable and unacceptable levels of quality. Although the HOP scenes are better than the locations, both are still a little grainy and blurred. However, not enough to detract from the game. There are also a lot of very dark scenes, and they can be annoying. The ghosts are incorporated into the game very well.

The creepy music! The ghostly voices! The eerie surrounding sounds. The soundtrack is good indeed. The music sounds almost orchestral, and is richly varied.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    Ravenhearst continues to work its (dark) magic on you, and you have come back. Emma says there are other souls to be freed from this evil place. Again you search the manor for clues. This time, though, you are truly part of the story. You must decide where to go next, and what to look at or for. And you, eventually, must face Dalimar.

GAMEPLAY
    This is no longer just a HOG, so it is a much more complex game to play. Most of the game still consists of HOPs, with those puzzle boards again. But there are less of them than in the past, because now you must find your own way around. The HOPs are now zoom-in windows, there is occasionally a little animation (bugs crawling around – ick), and are only visited twice . Hint shows you where an inventory item can be used. I hate this type of hint. Usually, it doesn’t help at all, because the area is not yet opened up. And hint takes 5 (!!) full minutes to refill.

The puzzles other than the boards are not that easy, and there’s no instructions with them, but you have a skip for them. Skip is quick. 30 minutes is added to your time, but there are no time restrictions for it to make a real difference. I found the adventure game play very hard. There never seemed to be anything I could do. The journal is quite good, but there’s no map. Somehow, however, I battled on without the walkthrough.

COMBINED IMPACT
    This is the first Mystery Case Files game that is a HOPA, and I imagine it caused quite a stir at the time. While I still am uncomfortable with the graphics, this game is doable. But it is also a tough game for those of us spoiled by all the help we get today. It really isn’t my cup of tea, but as a DD or punchcard game, it’s not bad. Particularly if you like dark games, or are a collector.

I Recommend This Game!
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Love this game - so challenging!!!
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 pm

It really is awesome -- and challenging!  I bet if they released an update with multiple difficulty settings, they'd really see some great sales on it, even though it's so old now!

djrum

Post by djrum on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:53 am

Oh my gosh, Genki, wouldn't it be fantastic if they did release an update?!

I have to say, MCF: Return to Ravenhearst is my favorite all-time game for many reasons. My very first IHOG, I ordered it from Amazon (disc) before I was a member at BFG. I had already played all the previous ones.
    I was in awe of the gameplay. The storyline & visuals were shocking, at that time. And the music (orchestrated music in a IHOG? I was stunned), well, for anyone who's played the later MCFs, that theme is certainly recognizable and you will hear bits of it throughout the game.
    The puzzles...wow, were they ever difficult, but it was my first IHOG and I was really unfamiliar with this type of game.
    I absolutely loved every single minute of playing! It was exciting, it was mesmerizing, and I just couldn't get over how well it was all put together into one phenomenal game.
    I realize that nowadays with all the awesome games out, MCF: RTR might be considered as outdated, past its prime, etc., but it will never be that to me.  Heart
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm

yes, ladies - what you said  Laugh Dj, I couldn't put it as well as you did, but you hit my nail on the head.  RTR is my all-time favorite too, even after so long. JTF really put it in perspective nicely, tho' it still just doesn't fully register in my head that it's an "older" game now.  I guess when you feel that jazzed about a game for the first time, it just sticks with you - as good as a first puppy, and way better than the first boyfriend   pfft
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 pm

jessmom01 wrote:as good as a first puppy, and way better than the first boyfriend   pfft
    OMG so true!!!  Belly laugh
    djrum

Post by djrum on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Too funny, jessmom!!!!!  Laugh
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Yeah... I'll have to agree, too! Snicker

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 pm