Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Empty Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Mystery Case Files:  13th Skull
    by Big Fish Games - November, 2010

Series linksMystery Case Files 1: Huntsville, Mystery Case Files 2: Prime Suspects, Mystery Case Files 3: Ravenhearst, Mystery Case Files 4: Madame Fate, Mystery Case Files 5: Return to Ravenhearst, Mystery Case Files 6: Dire Grove, Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull, Mystery Case Files 8: Escape From Ravenhearst, Mystery Case Files 9: Shadow Lake, Mystery Case Files 10: Fate's Carnival, Mystery Case Files 11: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove, Mystery Case Files 12: Key to Ravenhearst, Mystery Case Files 13: Ravenhearst Unlocked, Mystery Case Files 14: Broken Hour, Mystery Case Files 15: The Black Veil; Mystery Case Files 16: The Revenant's Hunt; Mystery Case Files 17: Rewind; Mystery Case Files 18: The Countess; Mystery Case Files 19: Moths to a Flame

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Mystery-case-files-13th-skull-collectors_feature

Shortly  after moving into a creepy mansion in Louisiana, Sara Lawson is struck  with tragedy when her husband mysteriously disappears. Sara’s daughter,  Magnolia, believes her father was kidnapped by the ghost of a vengeful  pirate seeking to protect his lost fortune. With the locals terrified of  the pirate’s curse, you are the family’s last hope. Only a Master  Detective with incredible Hidden Object skills can locate Marcus Lawson  in Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull!

• Bonus gameplay
    • Stunning soundtrack
    • Built-in Smart guide
    • Behind-the-scenes concept art
    • Walkthrough

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Screen1
    Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Screen2
    Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 pm; edited 8 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull Empty Re: Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 am

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull (Interactive movie/IHOG/Adventure)
    Review from November 21, 2010. Playing with the first update, which was given on release-day.

I was having trouble with a "draggy" cursor when I entered the game, so I restarted my computer. No luck. I tried the Unlock Frame Rate option, but my computer didn't like that at ALL (the dragginess got worse). Disabling the custom cursor did the trick, however :D (I didn't have this problem when I beta'd the game)

The trouble with disabling the custom cursor is that there is no directional arrow - no indication at all of where you can travel unless you have the tooltips on. I really wanted to play without them, but it's either that or a draggy cursor, so I chose tooltips.

The first time you enter the game, you must watch the opening sequence (mostly live-action), but upon subsequent entries to the game, you can click to skip the movie.

You might want to check out the "Extras" button on the Menu page - There you'll find achievements, with 10 possible awards.

Options include separate sliders for music, environment and sound effects, custom cursor, appearance (full-screen, windowed or wide-screen), attitude (normal, southern or snarky), show subtitles, show tooltips and unlock frame rate (which is explained if you mouse-over it).

A lot of things to choose from! I am choosing "normal" mode for my first time through.

The journal is pictured (and accessible) above the Menu button. Interestingly, your task list is a notepad, which you can find in your inventory. Your journal also tracks game time (found at the top of the right-hand page).

The toolbar/inventory auto-hides until you mouse-over. What you will see (until you mouse-over) is the Objectives list, which will show you items you need to find during the adventure portion of the game.

HINTS are refillable. There is a mis-click penalty, which is pretty, but overdone in my opinion. You might not want to check it for yourself, or you'll miss out on one of your achievements Wink

You might have noticed that I've used a new descriptive term up there by the title. "Interactive movie". There have been movie-esque segments in IHOG's before, but never to this extent. The story is told almost entirely via live action video segments, with the characters interacting with you directly (although one does seem to have a lazy eye and be looking everywhere but at you, most of the time Silly face)

You can skip the dialogue during the live-action sequences if you wish - just be sure to click on the pop-up screen, and not the background. There is no click-through (reading at your own pace) - it's either wait to hear everything or skip it. There IS, however, a summary in your journal, so if you just can't stand the live-action portions, you'll still know what you're expected to do.

It seems like the video portions are a bit more balanced than they were during the beta, with the characters not quite so jarringly-crisp against the background game graphics.

The outdoor portions of the game are especially beautiful, reminiscent of Return to Ravenhearst, at times. You will spend a lot of time interacting with characters, but the adventure portions of the game are my favorite part. The hidden object scenes are the typical junk-piles that you would expect from the Mystery Case Files series.

The music seems to have been improved since the beta - not quite so "twangy".

At this point I am going to set the game aside until I can figure out what is causing the mouse to drag. I will come back and update this review once I have played more of the game.

January 2012 UPDATE:

I finally played the game through from beginning to end a couple of months ago. The early part of the game is still annoying, but some elements of the game are truly enjoyable. I didn't find the live interaction to be very fun, but the rest of the gameplay is stellar.

The extra gameplay that you get with the CE is actually much better than the standard game, with more of the gameplay you would expect from a Mystery Case Files games.

Overall, the live interaction left a bad taste in my mouth, but I will play the game again, simply because it is a good and well-made game.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 am

Enjoyable Departure From The Norm

Sunny Sunny SunnySunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I really was impressed with the ways in which this game was different. The live action was great in my book. Sometimes irritating characters, but then, that's people isn't it? A new touch - in the options you can choose whether characters are 'normal, southern or snarky'. I've tried them all and they're all funny. I guess if I was from Louisiana I'd feel a little miffed, but hey, it was a gentle ribbing. I loved the humour in the game, particularly during the last hour or so and the big finale.

The story is cool from start to finish, a winner all the way. You are looking for a man who's missing who in turn was looking for pirate's treasure. However, I did not like how long it took to get to the treasure finding part. Even his wife complains about us not getting on with it! lol All is forgiven though at the finish. The ending was satisfying, surprising, dramatic and funny! The best I've seen anywhere by far.

The usual attractions - graphics, sound, mini-games and HO scenes were as great as we've come to expect from MCF, in fact better than most of the others.

An odd device was the objectives set before you in the tool bar, and the fact that you can't do anything with any other relevant items etc. until you completed that mission. Still, it had the advantage that you knew you'd missed something if you didn't move on to the next one when you thought you would.

Interesting having the inventory items outside the HO scenes seen as objects rather than having to guess what you'd need too.
    I found the puzzles more complex than hard. Another oddity was having no instructions for the puzzles. Instead, hint offers you up to three tips on how to solve the puzzle and/or skipping the puzzle altogether. Being weak on puzzles, I found this useful.

Criticism? I would have liked to take longer finding the skulls when we finally get around to it.

All up this is a top notch game that offers originality, great story, beautiful graphics and sound, unusual mini-game structure, and fun HO scenes.

I Recommend This Game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Mystery Case Files 7: 13th Skull (AHOG)
    Review from November 21, 2010; updated April, 2019

This is a standalone game.  You do not need to play the previous games to understand the story.  It is also heavier on the adventure portion than most modern hidden object games - I'd say about 50% adventure, and 50% HO scenes.

Options include separate sliders for music, environment and sound effects, custom cursor, appearance (full-screen, windowed or wide-screen), attitude (normal, Southern or snarky), show subtitles, show tooltips and unlock frame rate (which is explained if you mouse-over it).

You might want to check out the "Extras" button on the Menu page - There you'll find the 10 possible in-game achievements.

A family has moved to Louisiana, and Dad has now mysteriously disappeared.

Be warned that the first half hour or so of the game is both ugly (a self-described "dump") and annoying, as the maid is very likely to rub you the wrong way. *shudder*

There had been movie-esque segments in IHOG's before 13th Skull, but never to this extent. The story is told almost entirely via live action video segments, with the characters interacting with you directly (although one does seem to have a lazy eye and be looking everywhere but at you most of the time. ;p)

You can skip the dialogue during the live-action sequences if you wish... Just be sure to click on the pop-up screen, and not the background. There is no clicking through (reading at your own pace) - it's either wait to hear everything or skip it. There IS, however, a summary in your journal, so if you just can't stand the live-action portions, you'll still know what you're expected to do.

The journal is located above the Menu button, and it also tracks game time (found at the top of the right-hand page).  There is a LOT of info in your journal, so if you like reading in your games, you're in luck!

Interestingly, your task list is a notepad, which you can find in your inventory, and this notepad is also your strategy guide.  It will give you information relating to where you are in the game, but you can't skip ahead. 

The toolbar/inventory auto-hides until you mouse-over. What you will see (until you mouse-over) is the Objectives list, which will show you items you need to find during the adventure portion of the game.

HINTS are refillable, and there is a mis-click penalty if you click around too quickly during one of the HOS.  The hidden object scenes, themselves, are the typical junk-piles that you would expect from an early Mystery Case Files game.

A couple of the scenes you'll see (and have to interact with) are pretty gross, so be aware of that if you have a weak stomach.

The music is pretty "twangy", but it certainly sets the tone for the game!  The acting is better than in most games of this genre.

The outdoor portions of the game are beautiful, reminiscent of Return to Ravenhearst, at times. You will spend a lot of time interacting with characters, but the adventure portions of the game are my favorite part.

The extra gameplay that you get with the CE is actually much better than that of the standard game, with more of the gameplay you would expect from a Mystery Case Files game.

This is a solid, well-made game.  I recommend it to those who love a good adventure with a lot of hidden object scenes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm