Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Empty Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 am

Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby
    by Boolat Games - September, 2013

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Dark-cases-the-blood-ruby-collectors-edition_feature

Your worst fears came true the night your father never arrived home. Someone killed him during his latest investigation. As you sort through his remaining possessions you discover his diary recording his last moments - and a strange amulet that sends you hurtling back through time to the day before his murder. Time is running out as you race to not only prevent his murder but also to catch the mastermind behind it all.

Unravel the trail of clues to locate a deadly ruby before its gruesome powers are unleashed in Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby, a heart-pounding Hidden-Object Puzzle Adventure game.

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus Chapter
    • Concept Art & Wallpapers
    • Soundtrack
    • Re-playable Mini-games
    • Cinematic Collection

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Th_screen1_Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Th_screen2_Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Th_screen3

Last edited by JustTheFacts on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby Empty Re: Dark Cases: The Blood Ruby

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 am

Original & Well Designed  
    Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    This game looks good from the start. Not spectacular, not gorgeous, just very well done cut scenes, good voiceovers, and an exciting crash of music at the scary bits.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The graphics are very good hand drawn, lots of detail and very clear. Not too dark, but still a bit spooky. HOs are easy to find. The music is fairly unnoticeable until it suddenly rips you out of your complacency. The voiceovers are a little stilted at times, but no real problem. This is not one of those games that relies heavily on cute or beautiful. It does real very well, and avoids those awful fly  and rust fests many developers go for as an alternative to cute.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    You dreamed of your dad (a cop) dying on the job, and he did. Looking through his personal belongings, your tears activate an amulet said to protect your family, and you are hurtled back in time to 2 hours before his death. Now both of you must solve the mystery and survive.

MAKING PROGRESS
    The gameplay is the appeal in this one. A unique style of HOPs that are an interactive list, with silhouetted items that must be found to be used in the scene. It’s really great fun, combining the two favoured types into one. The list is very long, so all the items are not listed upfront, and others will appear as you go along. I like that because it makes the list more spontaneous.

There are also some great new puzzles too. Some taking an old idea and revamping it, but always into something that’s totally new. They weren’t very hard, but the instructions on at least one were too vague to understand, I had to check the SG to get it. There is an interactive jump map, which shows completed locations as well as active tasks, a directional hint, a journal, and task list.

This should appeal to our hard core element. Even on the lowest level of difficulty, the sparkles are rare and discreet, just the HOPs really, and black bar hints are not automatically dished out, you must click on something a couple of times to get not much more info.

BLING!
    CE extras are the staples only. Gallery items, bonus chapter, SG.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
    I think I’ll wait for the SE myself – I’m on a budget. But a really good recommendable game.

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks for the topic and the review, Justie!
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 am

Deleted

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:35 am

Just finished playing the SE of this game. Glad to see us agreeing yet again sportygal! I knew I'd like this game by the demo, but I had not expected to enjoy it this much. As sporty says, it is really engrossing, and I played it through in one sitting, even though it was quite a long game with a lot to do in it.

My one objection is that I found myself losing the story in the middle. It got confusing who was doing what and why. Part of that was the usual misdirection you find in most mystery stories, but it was not made as clear as it could have, I thought.

Of course, it could also be me having one of my low-brain-functioning days!  Snicker 
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 am

See sometimes we agree.  Laugh Truth be told I live and thrive to be in the minority I must say when it comes to the games. Yahoo! 

Yeah it's amazing how my CE requirements have changed in the past 3 months here as I said in this review about the achievements/collectibles. I no longer find this stuff necessary. Please don't get me wrong: When I was a fan of this extra "fluff" well just because a game had it didn't mean it was a must have game. I do have to enjoy the game itself.  Also while I do get overall pretty good game length as the majority of the games I play are a minimum of 4 hours long. Most have seemed to be 7 to 8 hours well even for a CE I'm finding if I get at least 4 hours and I enjoy it well life is good. I don't need for games to go on for many hours. I do believe the reason I'm fine with such game length is because I have SEVERE rheumatoid arthritis and I do like to play my games all in one setting if possible because if I don't then sometimes I kinda forget what's going on and sometimes even start over.  I also feel that $13.99 is a good price for at least 4 hours of entertainment since this is my main source of entertainment - playing games. Hell I haven't been to see a movie on the big screen in about 10 years and well 10 years ago just to get in to see about a 2 hour movie was $8.00 not counting the popcorn, chocolate candy and a Coke which is a must have for me for my movie. I have no idea how much it cost now to see a 2 hour movie. Sometimes longer but not much or rarely.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:37 am

Sporty, Can't help you on the prices of cinema movies either - it's been at least 10 years since I went too. And 10 years or more since I last watched TV. Until I found HOPAs to keep me entertained, I mostly read books. I also like to hit a game in one sitting which is why games like Fate's Carnival and Nevertales are undeniably brilliant games, I find myself having a hard time enjoying them, because they just require too much brainpower over too many hours, and like you, I find myself having trouble knowing where I was up to.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:21 am

Oh that's OK! I wasn't looking for help on prices as I have no intention on going to see a movie on the big screen at the theater. I'm sure the price would also be different since you live in Australia and I live in the states here.  Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm