Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 am

by N-Tri Studios - August, 2013

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish
    GameHouse
    iWin

Detective Ashley Clark is puzzled by a series of mysterious kidnappings. The only connection between these unusual disappearances is a brilliant, red ruby pendant. Could someone be using this sparkling ornament to send a clandestine message, or could this be the handiwork of an underground cult? Follow the clues to discover the ancient secrets held by the ruby pendant, and uncover the truth behind the bizarre kidnappings!

• Highly interactive storyline and gameplay
    • Exciting mini-games
    • Intriguing plot with twists and turns
    • Wide range of difficulty levels

Click images to enlarge
    __

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:52 am; edited 3 times in total

JustTheFacts

Re: Ashley Clark: Secret of the Ruby

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:56 am

Perfect Punchcard Monday Game!

Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny 

BASED ON DEMO

I am so often disappointed by stand alone SE games, that I am very happy to find a good one. This is not the flashiest game you’ll ever see – the budget is clearly too low for that – but it’s got all the essentials, and they’re done well.

The opening cut scenes are very like 3D adventure games, and the game world is done in old fashioned pseudo-realism, but don’t let that fool you, there is more to this game than there seems at first glance.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    Initially, we have a typical cop/crime mystery game with the expected visuals to go with it, based in the real world and fairly ordinary. We have been called out to the crime scene of a probable kidnapping, with strange complications. We find out that there have been a series of similar crimes dating back to 1790!

With the guidance of stranded spirits, we track down our kidnapper, who doesn't seem all that formidable, but, hey *somebody* dragged me into this time zone/dimension - whatever.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Then we take a good look at the ruby amulet found at the scene, and are thrown into a completely different world. Personally I thought we took that pretty casually, for a street smart cop and all.Once we leave behind our present day reality, the graphics become mostly water colour hand drawn in style. Good colour and clarity. The cut scenes still hark back to earlier time, but the HO scenes in particular look great. No matter which style of graphics is being used at any moment, it is all well done.

The voiceovers, when there are some (characters will go from VO to print when the dialogue is long), are very good, even though sometimes the pronunciation is off. We can interact and talk with the characters we meet, and that plus the cut scene graphics give the game the feel of an adventure game, so expect a little more talk than usual.

MAKING PROGRESS
    The gameplay is well balanced between HO games (interactive list & silhouettes) and puzzles. The puzzles were almost all new for me, and a couple were a little confusing, so a bit more difficult than the norm. The adventure gameplay was pretty logical, and plenty of guidance from characters meant, not overly difficult. There is a directional hint and skip is quick in the easiest of 3 levels. The map was a transporter, but not interactive.

We collect rubies for additional hints.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
    I ran out of time because I was too engrossed in the story to pay attention, always a good sign. This one is definitely on my buy list.

I recommend this game!

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:26 pm