Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Whispers 2: Revelation

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Whispers 2: Revelation Empty Whispers 2: Revelation

Post by genkicoll Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 am

Whispers: Revelations
    by Origaming Media - February, 2013

Series links: Whispers 1: Room 6 (Point-and-click adventure), Whispers 2: Revelation (IHOG)

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish for
    PC
    GameHouse

Whispers 2: Revelation Whispers-revelation_feature

Ten years after her parents died in a car accident, orphaned Lunna is experiencing strange visions. Although she looks like any other child her age, she was actually blessed with a very special gift: she can see and speak with spirits. Now 17-years-old and an outcast at Hawkins High, she finds it easier to make friends with the dead than the living. Alone in life, Lunna has nothing to remind her of the past other than a pendant gifted to her by her mother when she was just a child. One night, Lunna realizes that this special pendant has gone missing, and sneaks out to find it. As she is about to return to her dorm, Lunna is intrigued by a lovely voice singing a familiar song, and follows the sound to a mysterious girl asking for help. Suddenly, an evil shadow disagrees with this request and chases Lunna! Who is the mysterious girl and what does she want Lunna to do? Why is the shadow chasing Lunna? Find out in this mysterious and compelling adventure game!

• Intriguing story
    • Challenging mini-games
    • Eerie atmosphere

Click images to enlarge
    Whispers 2: Revelation Th_screen1 Whispers 2: Revelation Th_screen2Whispers 2: Revelation Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 am; edited 5 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Whispers 2: Revelation Empty Re: Whispers 2: Revelation

Post by genkicoll Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Reposted with permission from jeanniemouse:
    jeanniemouse wrote:Posted this on the "review" section but for some reason it didn't appear. I normally don't venture off the Dark & Eerie thread, but I wanted to share my opinion of this game, which I posted there. Thanks, Jeannie

OK, D&E friends...this is going to be a strange post but...
    I just finished an amazing game. It's Whispers: Revelations.
    Don't get me wrong; it's horribly made. So much back-and-forth that you'll get a migraine. No logic whatsoever in the gameflow. The mouse is glitchy as heck; even after you find the hidden objects (which are junkpiles, btw...) you have to beat them to death sometimes to get them to register. It took me hours. Several times I had to stop because I just couldn't stand any more.
    So why am I here to rave? THE STORYLINE!!! This thing had one of the best, most amazing (and ultimately beautiful) D&E stories I've seen. I kept following it because I had to know what happened. And it didn't disappoint me at all; the ending somehow managed to tie together several seemingly unrelated threads in a logical way. And it wasn't all negative; the artwork was beautiful and the music was lovely.
    All I can hope is that these artists and writers get a chance to work with someone someday who knows how to do a good game. They have more creativity than 90% of the big-budget developers out there. They deserve a chance.
    Whew! Rant over..

and
    jeanniemouse wrote:Whispers has a storyline that puts it up with the top 5 storylines I've ever encountered in this genre...and for the life of me, I can't think of anything in it that would offend anyone! As I've warned you before, the gameplay with Whispers takes a LOT of patience and liberal use of the hint button, but the story is worth it. Whispers 2: Revelation Smilebig
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Whispers: Revelations (IHOG)

Revelations takes place approximately ten years after the events of Whispers 1: Room 6 (a short, free, online point-and-click adventure.)

There are separate sliders for sound and music, plus options for full-screen, film grain, custom cursor, and aspect correction. There are two difficulties to choose from.

We do have a MAP, but there is no "jump-to" function, nor anything that shows where the active areas are. You're pretty much on your own! There is a ton of to-ing and fro-ing in this game, since you need to revisit areas often to see if anything has changed. Luckily, our HINT button will give us a directional arrow without discharging if there's nothing to do on the current screen. Definitely helpful!

Mini-game instructions are found at the bottom of the screen (just mouse-over the area where you inventory usually is,) and you can SKIP, if you wish.

Something you DON'T want to skip are the cutscenes, for this game is all about the story.
    We have no journal, and those scenes are crucial to progressing the story. I definitely recommend having the sound ON, for it helps to set the scene very nicely. We do have a TASK list in the top left corner, which helps to track our objectives.

The graphics are quite beautiful, character design notwithstanding. The characters themselves are done in a semi-anime style. I say "semi" because there are no overly-big eyes or cutesy images, as some may imagine when they hear "anime" (there are many different styles, but that's a whole different subject Whispers 2: Revelation 2981382511)

There are some localization issues, though nothing compared to those in Room 6. They're little errors, such as missing S's (ie. headphone, instead of headphones), and the flow of the sentences. Not so bad, really. There are just a couple of things to watch for in the hidden object scenes, such as "badge" = medal, "pistache" = pistachios, "pluger" = a plug, and that "bobber" sure looked like a motorcycle to me! At one point we find a "rubber" Whispers 2: Revelation 597951271 What they meant was rubber band! Whispers 2: Revelation 765500672

Speaking of the hidden object scenes, some of them are interactive, some aren't. You may have some doors to open, or a small task to do, but for the most part, they're just the usual stock... except that they are definitely challenging! The HOS in our dorm room (in particular) is done a LOT, but on the plus side, you never look for the same item twice, and the scenes change a bit, especially once you start new days. It makes sense that the scenes would look different from day to day, and even more sense that our main character would look through her OWN things before looking elsewhere.

The game controls are a bit clunky, compared to what we're used to. Sometimes we have to zoom in on something before we can interact with it, others we can't zoom in. You have to manually close the zoom-in box instead of just clicking on the background.

The game itself is pretty directionless -- more like a true adventure with hidden object scenes than your typical IHOG. It's not as intuitive as I would like, depending more on your memory of scenes you've been to than anything else. For instance, at one point you need a broom, and we know we saw a broom in one of the hidden object scenes, but which one was it...? Luckily, the hint button is a wonderful friend, who will show you which direction to go so that you don't have to wander quite so much.

Overall, this is a good game that needed a better interface. A lot of people are going to be (or already have been) turned off by the non-intuitive gameplay, and it's a shame, because the story is very good. This game has the most intensive and longest ending I've ever seen in a casual game. The final cutscene was at least 10 minutes long. Everything you experience in the game ties together beautifully at the end, very satisfying.

Most of the mini-games are inventive -- not just the same old, same old -- the graphics are lovely, the voice-overs well done, the story gripping, and the gameplay too classic adventure-style for most people's taste. There are too many hidden object scenes, in my opinion, but the HOG-lovers are sure to be happy about that part Whispers 2: Revelation 2981382511

This is a LONG game, and well worth the money and a bit of aggravation

Whispers 2: Revelation 1404866550

One last note, and that is that the first game is more of a thriller-horror, whilst this is more of a paranormal mystery. The only tie in to Room 6 is the main character's name, Lunna, and the fact that she misses her parents (the reason she misses them is explained in Room 6.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 pm