Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

kids say the darndest things

ScarletteSpider
    ScarletteSpider

kids say the darndest things Empty kids say the darndest things

Post by ScarletteSpider on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Couple of years ago, I was teaching my youngest son how to drive. Teaching any child of your own can be both rewarding and a gutt wrenching experience, especially when it comes to driving. He was also getting instruction through his high school drivers education program because not only is it required by law in our state, but is just an excellent idea since they cover some bases that parents don't always think to address.

But unlike other parents, when I learned to drive my newly divorced mother was dating a formula one/GTX/GTO French race car driver. He took it upon himself voluntarily to show me a few things that you couldn't learn in drivers ed. I learned how to do bootlegs (turning a car a 180 degrees while moving, you see the maneuver in movies all the time), backwards bootlegs (same thing but done while in reverse), how to roll a car safely and get out without injury or bruises. How to drive on snow, ice and sand, but best of all he showed me how to do slot (to move a car laterally/sideways into a spot with little to no forward motion) and slingshot maneuvers (to whip around a string of cars using the velocity and momentum of a curve or corner turns aka drift) and how to drive reaaaaallly fast safely. It taught me that the best drivers are not defensive but offensive, to not be and how to avoid situations that would require defensive tactics. I've had a perfect driving record for over 20 years, no tickets. (Took a while to cure myself of leadfoot lol, used to get nailed for speeding when younger.)

So I took all three of my sons to Vandermere Speedway to teach them what that old boyfriend of my mom's taught me when it was time for them to learn to drive. But it was with the final lesson with my youngest son I will never forget.

When we were returning the buggy style racers back to the pit, we were standing around talking with some other professional drivers and pit crew. All of them had excellent words of advice and were imparting them to my son when the topic turned to other people on the road and how you can never rely on them to do the right thing, the smart thing, but can always rely on them to do the most idiotic and dangerous thing imaginable. Then my son said, "Why is it that when people get behind the wheel of a car they seem to lose half their IQ points?"

There was silence for a few seconds and then everyone burst their gutts laughing so hard. Finally the owner of the raceway said, "You know kiddo, I haven't a clue as to why. But you difinately have a good point and would do well to remember it when you drive."

genkicoll
    genkicoll

kids say the darndest things Empty Re: kids say the darndest things

Post by genkicoll on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm

What an awesome story, Scarlette, thanks for sharing!

kids say the darndest things O9fj
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

kids say the darndest things Empty Re: kids say the darndest things

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 am