Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Empty Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 am

Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper
    by Elephant Games - December, 2012

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Big Fish for Mac as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Detective-quest-the-crystal-slipper-ce_feature

A man shows up on your doorstep asking you to track down the woman he loves. It would be just another "missing persons" case, except the only thing you have to go on is a crystal slipper... and the man is a prince from a mysterious, faraway land. Can you find the woman who captured his heart but then vanished? Or will this fantastical land push your detective skills to the limit? And do you really get to ride a unicorn? Find out in Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper!

The Collector's Edition includes:

• More adventures in the bonus game
    • Integrated strategy guide
    • Gorgeous wallpapers and concept art
    • Downloadable soundtrack

For the Standard Edition:

Click images to enlarge
    Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Th_screen1 Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Th_screen2 Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Empty Re: Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Enchanting
    Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

This is a fun story that embellishes freely on the Cinderella tale, with a darker theme to it, but filled with lively creatures as well as skeletons. I really enjoyed this one, more for the beauty of it than the gameplay I think.

The game opens in an atmosphere of archetypal detective stories – I think bootlegging and cabarets. But don’t get used to it, before long you’re off to a ‘faraway land’ looking for the girl with the crystal slipper. In the process you come across magical locations and spectacular creatures the likes of which could only be possible in a fairy tale.

I found the HOs invariably beautiful, even the really ugly (sometimes disturbing) ones. NOTE: The HOs are all ones where you must put back items. The rest of the gameplay is adventure lite, not too many brain cells likely to fry, but I did occasionally need to use the map and the hint system outside HOs to direct my next move. Both were really good for that, so consequently I didn’t even open the SG. Using the help sped things up, the game still seemed a decent length to me. ... and the story ended happily ever after.

Well worth many a replay.

Bonus Content Review
    Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny

In the CE, as well as helping the prince and saving the girl, we also can photograph the strange beings we encounter for our photograph album. This is a really fun exercise and the chief benefit of buying the CE. The album is then available from the play page. The usual wallpapers, screensavers and concept art are available. And I want to make a point that applies particularly to this game, but most other CEs as well.

Frankly I, like many others, wouldn’t care if we had these items in a CE or not, but if you’re going to have them, let’s do it properly. At the very least, the wallpapers should have been depictions of the gorgeous creatures, surely. Why not make the photo album the choice for the screensaver as well? Even concept art would be more interesting if it followed through the several incarnations of a single character/image as a screensaver. Just me and my soap box.

The bonus game play was good, took about a third of the time of the main story. It used many of the same locations but they were practically completely redrawn to reflect the new circumstances. It worked as a stand-alone short game and was not at all needed for the main game. Had same standards as the main game.

Would I buy the CE again? Yes, but really, only for those photos.

I recommend this game!

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:40 pm