Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Genki's Thai Curry (aka "Yellow Curry")

genkicoll
    genkicoll

curry - Genki's Thai Curry (aka "Yellow Curry") Empty Genki's Thai Curry (aka "Yellow Curry")

Post by genkicoll on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Thai Curry
    curry - Genki's Thai Curry (aka "Yellow Curry") 6567110647_e333143fb4_m

The Thai Curry I make tastes just like
    the "Yellow Curry" served at Thai
    Orchid, a local restaurant.

The sauce is simple. In a 2-cup measuring cup I mix*:

1 can coconut milk (reduced fat tastes just as good)
    1 TBS curry powder
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    Garlic salt to taste
    1/8 cup sugar (this recipe is supposed to be sweet)
    Soy sauce - not sure how much, I never measure. Maybe 1/8 cup? Add to taste.
    Optional: If you like it spicy, ground cayenne pepper to taste

Once this is mixed, taste it and make sure you like the flavor. Once you have it where you want it, add 1 heaping teaspoon of corn starch to a small bowl, then add about a tablespoon of cold milk and mix until there are no lumps (should be smooth - if not, add a touch more milk). Add to curry mixture and stir well.

Here you have two choices. Either stir fry some veggies and add the uncooked sauce towards the end of the cooking cycle, or just add the curry mixture to a saucepan and cook over low heat until it gets bubbly and thickens.

What I normally do at this point is cook the veggies.

Here's what I like in my curry:

Potatoes
    Carrots
    Onion
    Broccoli crowns
    Zucchini and/or yellow squash
    Green peppers
    Cabbage

First I cube some potatoes and cut carrots into chunks, then put them in a microwave-safe bowl with about a teaspoon of water. Cook, covered, until carrots are soft. Drain off any excess fluid.

Whilst those are steaming in the microwave, I saute the onions (just enough butter or margarine to cover the bottom of the frying pan - I use the biggest frying pan known to man! lol~!) and add the broccoli and zucchini/squash as I finish cutting them up, let cook a bit, then add the green peppers. You'll want to cook these over medium-high heat, but don't let them caramelize! If it's getting that hot, turn down the heat a bit.

Once the veggies are almost the consistency you like (I prefer the broccoli and squash to be slightly al dente - just a bit crisp), add the cooked potatoes and carrots, then add in cubed cabbage.

Stir to mix, then add the uncooked sauce. Turn heat up to high and simmer until the sauce thickens. Take off heat and serve over rice (if you've made the sauce strong) or just eat it as-is.

Yummy!

*Disclaimer: I can't say that the amounts are exact since I just throw the sauce together without measuring, so I've put in these amounts as "guesstimates".

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm