Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+4
tesamoine
JustTheFacts
heleanthia
genkicoll
8 posters

Book-love

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Book-love Empty Book-love

Post by genkicoll Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

I love books.  They're just one of those things that make me inexplicably happy.  Give me a library, a home library, or a used book store, and I could happily sit for hours, surrounded by these things that are, technically, just bound paper, but ultimately so much more.

New book stores are fine, but there's something about being in a used book store that is so much more appealing.  It's like the books take on a bit of extra life, just by having been enjoyed.  A couple of friends in town have a book store, and I was thinking, "Now if they just put some comfy chairs there by the front windows where the lighting is good..." Book-love 597951271

My love affair with books goes way back.  I remember (specifically) being in the fourth grade, so completely immersed in a book as I was walking between classes that I really wasn't aware of my surroundings.  In fifth grade I was in the "Battle of the Books", where teams were assigned books to read, then quizzed on the contents.  My team not only won at our own school, but came in first in the district-wide competion, as well. *memories of great satisfaction*  Is it showing?  Well, yes, I'm sure it is!  Evil Grin   Mahaha  I even remember that The Witch of Blackbird Pond was one of the books! Silly face

Throughout the years, reading has been a problem... not that I don't have time to read, but that when I really get into a story, everything around me disappears.  I *make* time to read by not doing all those little chores that I should be doing... Surely that sounds familiar to someone!  Rolling Eyes  I've been doing better lately, but it sure has been a problem in the past!  Book-love 580207494

Do you remember when your love of books began?  I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    heleanthia
    heleanthia

Book-love Empty Re: Book-love

Post by heleanthia Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:04 pm

genkicoll wrote:I love books.  They're just one of those things that make me inexplicably happy.  Give me a library, a home library, or a used book store, and I could happily sit for hours, surrounded by these things that are, technically, just bound paper, but ultimately so much more.

New book stores are fine, but there's something about being in a used book store that is so much more appealing.  It's like the books take on a bit of extra life, just by having been enjoyed.  A couple of friends in town have a book store, and I was thinking, "Now if they just put some comfy chairs there by the front windows where the lighting is good..." Book-love 597951271

My love affair with books goes way back.  I remember (specifically) being in the fourth grade, so completely immersed in a book as I was walking between classes that I really wasn't aware of my surroundings.  In fifth grade I was in the "Battle of the Books", where teams were assigned books to read, then quizzed on the contents.  My team not only won at our own school, but came in first in the district-wide competion, as well. *memories of great satisfaction*  Is it showing?  Well, yes, I'm sure it is! :twisted:  Mahaha  I even remember that The Witch of Blackbird Pond was one of the books! Silly face

Throughout the years, reading has been a problem... not that I don't have time to read, but that when I really get into a story, everything around me disappears.  I *make* time to read by not doing all those little chores that I should be doing... Surely that sounds familiar to someone!  Rolling Eyes  I've been doing better lately, but it sure has been a problem in the past!  Book-love 580207494

Do you remember when your love of books began?  I'd love to hear about it.
    Sounds familiar! Smile
    I grew up in a book loving family; we made regular trips to the library and YES remember getting so lost in books that my mom would (almost) exasperatedly yell, as we went charging in from the car and up to our rooms to start reading,..."PLEASE come and do your chores FIRST.!"...lol

And ditto about the used book stores; gosh so much atmosphere, and so many amazing finds...
    It's a bit silly but NOW I  sometimes have to make myself read these days as I get caught up in a GAME..(yikes) Smile
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm

I am told that my early relationship with books was somewhat fraught. It seems, if you can believe my father - and you probably shouldn't - that I got sent home from school in kindergarten with a note, because I was tearing up library books! EEK! 

Considering I have gone on to being a totally book-obsessed bookworm, with a much-reduced collection of 500 books, that are strictly by authors I love, and that I did a double major in English for my Bachelors degree and part of a Masters of English Literature, the idea seems bloody unlikely to me.

Both my parents love reading, but we didn't have money when I was growing up, so there were very few books at home, and the nearest library was an hour's drive away. But they still managed to get me into heaps of trouble!

The number of meals I burned, because I caught up in a book! The times my father would swipe me across the head, because I hadn't answered when he called! I almost got expelled from my very strict Catholic school when I took my sex education books in to show the 'silly girls' what it was really all about - age 8.  Snicker 

Or the time, age 10, when I put a book on the white elephant sale table because I finished reading it, only to discover that most adults were scandalized by the contents (sex, drugs and Hollywood), a Harold Robbins classic, Valley of the Dolls. What a lot of carry on! Daren't tell anyone I had read many Playboy magazines by that age - FOR THE ARTICLES  Whistle - they were illegal in Papua New Guinea, where I was living at the time!

I read Atlas Shrugged and changed my life forever, and I won't even go into the trouble it's caused me, but there was a decade in my life that would make your jaw drop.

And the $1000s I've spent on shipping them around the country with me! Oy vey!

But I love them, and HOPAs ae the first things ever to tear me away from them for a while. For the previous 50 years, nothing had that kind of impact on me. But it is because games have stories and are a similar experience to reading that I enjoy them as much as I do.

Books are everything. I love the way I can exist in an unimaginable number of worlds through them. And I love just to run my fingers over the covers. And codify every book in my database.

Now that my friend Dorothy has died, I now have only 3 things in my life - cat, games and books. And it's more than enough.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:16 am

Now that my friend Dorothy has died, I now have only 3 things in my life - cat, games and books. And it's more than enough.
    Nope!  You're wrong there!  You have us! Sunny

I'm glad to see some responses in this thread.  I just love books so much, and Helean, there's nothing to be ashamed about with getting into games instead of books.  To me it's just a different kind of reading!  If you're like me, you go for the games that are story-driven, the more story the better!

The newest book in Book-love Emptymy favorite series (or one of them, anyway!) just came out a few days ago, but I'm going to put it on my birthday wishlist (May) and concentrate on some of my new games, instead.  I've waited this long, so I can wait a a couple more months Wink

... of course if I'd had it available back during my obsessive reading jag back in the fall (note how many of the reviews are from August!) I would have devoured it immediately! Belly laugh
    heleanthia
    heleanthia

Post by heleanthia Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:36 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:I am told that my early relationship with books was somewhat fraught. It seems, if you can believe my father - and you probably shouldn't - that I got sent home from school in kindergarten with a note, because I was tearing up library books! EEK! 

Considering I have gone on to being a totally book-obsessed bookworm, with a much-reduced collection of 500 books, that are strictly by authors I love, and that I did a double major in English for my Bachelors degree and part of a Masters of English Literature, the idea seems bloody unlikely to me.

Both my parents love reading, but we didn't have money when I was growing up, so there were very few books at home, and the nearest library was an hour's drive away. But they still managed to get me into heaps of trouble!

The number of meals I burned, because I caught up in a book! The times my father would swipe me across the head, because I hadn't answered when he called! I almost got expelled from my very strict Catholic school when I took my sex education books in to show the 'silly girls' what it was really all about - age 8.  Snicker 

Or the time, age 10, when I put a book on the white elephant sale table because I finished reading it, only to discover that most adults were scandalized by the contents (sex, drugs and Hollywood), a Harold Robbins classic, Valley of the Dolls. What a lot of carry on! Daren't tell anyone I had read many Playboy magazines by that age - FOR THE ARTICLES  Whistle - they were illegal in Papua New Guinea, where I was living at the time!

I read Atlas Shrugged and changed my life forever, and I won't even go into the trouble it's caused me, but there was a decade in my life that would make your jaw drop.

And the $1000s I've spent on shipping them around the country with me! Oy vey!

But I love them, and HOPAs ae the first things ever to tear me away from them for a while. For the previous 50 years, nothing had that kind of impact on me. But it is because games have stories and are a similar experience to reading that I enjoy them as much as I do.

Books are everything. I love the way I can exist in an unimaginable number of worlds through them. And I love just to run my fingers over the covers. And codify every book in my database.

Awww, books are the best...
    and YES you have this group! I lost a good friend last year, and it is horrible. We had known each other since age 15, and through thick and thin, stayed friends...it feels really weird not to be able to call her up when I feel like a chat!
    But it is groups like this where there are so many lovely people that you can feel not lonely....
    Smile
    heleanthia
    heleanthia

Post by heleanthia Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 pm

genkicoll wrote:
    Nope!  You're wrong there!  You have us! Sunny

I'm glad to see some responses in this thread.  I just love books so much, and Helean, there's nothing to be ashamed about with getting into games instead of books.  To me it's just a different kind of reading!  If you're like me, you go for the games that are story-driven, the more story the better!

The newest book in Book-love Emptymy favorite series (or one of them, anyway!) just came out a few days ago, but I'm going to put it on my birthday wishlist (May) and concentrate on some of my new games, instead.  I've waited this long, so I can wait a a couple more months Wink

... of course if I'd had it available back during my obsessive reading jag back in the fall (note how many of the reviews are from August!) I would have devoured it immediately! Belly laugh
    thanks, I really think story driven game the best...(that is why adventure games have always appealed to me)
    I get lots of good books on my ipad (free) from our library, it is terrific as I don't have to worry about returning them..lol
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 am

Yes, I have my GGG friends!  Happy bounce And lots of interesting new challenges and ideas because of them - like the new challenge of not buying adventure games just cuz they're there.  Belly laugh 
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

I love this thread regarding reading.  I, too, am an avid reader.  I can become totally lost in books to the point that hours can pass without me even realizing it.  And I DO understand the comment about the ambiance and feeling of being in a used book store, a library, etc.  I love the smell of those places.   Embarrassed  I'm lucky enough to have a home library which is my absolute favorite room in the house.  And I must have the book itself.  The digital copies will not suffice.  I realize for many people either reading it on a nook or ipad just makes things easier.  There is nothing like opening and beginning a new book.  Ahhhhhh   Offering
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:08 pm

I am hoping esme  sees this post.   I was over on FB  and shelf-awareness posted this.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2014/mar/06/when-authors-get-into-character-in-pictures

I know all of you here will get a kick out of this.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Those are so flippin' cool! My author BFF is always so cool about doing stuff like that with/for fans. He's awesome.

And the Book Igloo? I want to live there! 

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, luvto!  Hug
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Your welcome.   I knew seeing him would make you  happy!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 pm

I also had not known about Shelf Awareness on FB... so I went and hooked myself up to that too! You are the bestest!  Yahoo!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:04 pm

tesamoine wrote:I love this thread regarding reading.  I, too, am an avid reader.  I can become totally lost in books to the point that hours can pass without me even realizing it.  And I DO understand the comment about the ambiance and feeling of being in a used book store, a library, etc.  I love the smell of those places.  I'm lucky enough to have a home library which is my absolute favorite room in the house.  And I must have the book itself.  The digital copies will not suffice.  I realize for many people either reading it on a nook or ipad just makes things easier.  There is nothing like opening and beginning a new book.  Ahhhhhh   Offering

For a second, I thought I had posted to this thread and didn't remember!  Me, too!!!   Okay
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:44 am

Just had to share this one...

Book-love 10478579_10152265350768366_2044445241296147424_n
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:51 am

That is perfect!!! Love it! Okay
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Absolutely perfect!  Two thumbs up
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:23 pm

You all have to check out this site. We may never visit these bookstores, but the pictures
    will make us wish we could.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/bookstores-that-will-literally-change-your-life
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 pm

I saw that a few days ago and drooled all over the keyboard! (Well, metaphorically anyway) 

I just wanted to share my small happiness from today since the last few weeks have sucked. I thought my book people might understand my giddiness. 

Book-love Neil10
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks, luvtoread, for sharing that page - I'd not seen it before!!

Read that book, esme - great! SIGNED no less!! Okay 
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

I've already read it, but I just bought a signed copy and I'm so GEEKED about it!  Happy bounce
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Oh my gosh, Esme! Hooray for you!  Happy bounce

Make sure you put it in a safe place.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Geeked?  Oh YEAH!  Of course!  Congratulations!! Sunny
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:42 pm

pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Oh Esme - that is so amazing!  WOW oh WOW.  A friend of mine in the UK MET him and she was so excited she couldn't talk.  (I was so jealous, I didn't want to talk to her for weeks HA).  What a treasure you have!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am